Friday, June 20, 2008

The Sun

Gram was an environmentalist even before it became fashionable!

Love Song to the Sun

(After flora carbons)

(Spring 1991)

Your presence means life to me,

Your absence spreads dismal pall.

I seek you; come too me as I wait.

We’ll be together, nothing between us

One last time before my courage fails

I know it’s no fault of yours.

Funny, isn’t it? And isn’t it always so?

Others have caused our misery,

And now the truth separates us

And keeps us from our old familiar ways.

How can I live without you,

And yet how can we be together as we were?

Come nearer, I lift my face to your gentle touch,

You who I have loved, who melt my cares

Away and make me happy

Let your kisses be innocent as once it was

As you cover me one last time.

Oh, I know I’ll catch a glimpses of you

As I busy myself and think with downcast eyes

Of all the joy we knew

And never imagine I don’t love you still

And long for the old times when I was happy

And singing in your presence

But you can never touch me as you did

And I’ll be so unhappy as I avert my face

While walking by, always in the shadows.