Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Delicious Moments

Delicious Moments

Fall 1994

I get up in the cold to set the thermostat. Crawling back between the red flannel sheets that still hold the heat from by body I stretch my toes down to where Twinky lies outside the covers. The warmth spreads up and over me. I never want to leave this place.

Coming home on a winter day, I unlock the door and step inside. For an instant I catch the odor that I grandchildren say is always the same – part stove wood; part old cottage. The wide room pleases me. The warmth melts me. The pictures look down and smile. I’m home.

The sleet stinging the windows is the only sound as the street lamps spot-light the icy road. One by one the cars come in for the night. Everything waits. Beams from headlights signal one more car. I hear the crunch as the car turns in. She’s home.