Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Flying High

Fall 1989

This was the summer that Jeff buzzed the cottage. His plane would come out of no-where flying low and roar over and I’d go out and wave. Sometimes he’d tip his wings and sometimes would put on a real show; barrel rolls that seemed headed into the ground until Liz and I would cover our eyes. I remember one day the plane seemed as graceful as a ballet dancer as it reached up into the sky and turned and slipped over and down. He’d sometimes come over at dusk with his lights on. One night I was getting ready for bed; washing my face. The plane roared over and the face in the mirror grinned.

I went up with him a couple times; once over the campground where you could see how the ball ground has been cut out of the forest and the roofs of the cottages partly under the trees. Peter-Paul Church was very plain to see and all the roads winding every which way.

Another time I flew at dusk down to Portland where he practiced instrument landing and once landed on the landing strip and we watched a big jet zooming at take off. I was thrilled to see Portland from the air all lighted up like a Christmas tree. The sunset was fading into the night sky and a slight luminous fog was over all, and the moon began to be golden and the lights began to glow until it was like Christmas.