Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas Fun

I was getting quite out of sorts. My needle was going into my fingers more often than it was the fabric and the three inch high teddy bears I was making were coming out with scowls on their faces.

At this point I heard someone at the door and Krista Beth came in. After some conversation she decided to paint, so out came the water colors and the hearth was soon covered with drying pictures of trees and country-sides.

When the palled on her, the next venture was spicy Christmas tree ornaments that looked like little ginger bread men and women. I got in the act with her (why should she have all the fun?) and we rolled out and patted smooth and cut out until finally a very large family of little brown people were lying on tin foil under the stove and drying.

Next our attention turned to the little teddys. I had bought some Christmas tree ornaments, little red sleds with backs, the kind used to haul small children. Krista wanted to see if the bears would fit in them. I got them out and they were a perfect fit. Of course, her next thought was “snow” so she got on her coat and boots.

Soon her laughing face appeared at the window outside beckoning me to look. Sliding down the snow covered lawn were two thee inch long sleds, each with a tiny teddy steering manfully and coming to a graceful stop just before hitting the stone wall. It was a most comical sight.

Krista’s mother arrived and was shown this new accomplishment and found it as funny as we did. She ran home and got her camera.

The teddys enjoyed sliding for quite a while. Eventually the snow got quite covered with Krista’s boot tracks and the teddys would slide along, only to disappear completely in the boot tracks.

Finally Krista brought them in and went home. I sat back down on the couch and started sewing again. The painting were still strewed about the stove, the sink was full of kitchen utensils that smelled of cinnamon, clove and nutmeg; two tiny teddy bears lay drying on the hearth in postures of complete exhaustion, and my day had cheered up considerably.